5 Tips I Gave to Someone
Here is some advice I gave to someone over email about the app reskinning business. He found it helpful so I thought I’d just post it here for everyone to read.
1. Don’t believe all hype. Yes you can make money, but it’s not as easy as people make it seem.
2. It takes a lot of money and time. Buying the source code is only the beginning. You have to hire freelance designers and developers to do the graphics and make changes to the code if you can’t do it yourself. It gets expensive very quickly. It also takes up more time than you expect so be prepared. The more time and money you put in, the more likely you’ll be successful.
3. Do as much as you can yourself. I’m more on the technical side so I try to do all the ad network and code changes myself (not that difficult even for newbies). I’m also learning and trying to do the design myself. It may take more time but you save money and learn in the process.
4. Do your research. Look at the popular games and find out the game type and theme. There’s a lot of apps and a lot of reskins. Make sure yours stands out enough to catch people’s interest.
5. Lastly, prepare to do some heavy marketing. Carter Thomas and other “experts” and succesful people in the app reskinning business have internet marketing backgrounds. So learn how to do app marketing and ASO (app store search optimization). Don’t fall for the “build it and they will come mentality.” It doesn’t work that way anymore.